The Brooklyn Japanese American Family Association (BJAFA) is a New York State licensed, the non-profit organization that provides parenting support to Japanese and Japanese-American families living in Brooklyn, NY and around there. Our three major areas of activity are:
- Teaching Japanese and Japanese-American children the Japanese language and culture
- Making connections among Japanese and Japanese-American families and their children
- Supporting family well-being for Japanese and Japanese-American families
- Sharing information and learning to support these activities
BJAFA relies on cooperative efforts by numerous volunteers for its operations and the execution of these activities. BJAFA is constantly looking for new talented people to serve as activity leaders and board members. Please don’t hesitate to contact us if you are interested.
PROJECTS & ACTIVITIES
BNG: Brooklyn Nihongo Gakuen
(Brooklyn Japanese Language School)
Saturday Japanese language classes take place at PS261 in Boerum Hill. Classes are designed for children Pre-K or older to learn the Japanese language and culture while having fun. This activity is not sponsored or endorsed by the New York City Department of Education or the City of New York.
* BNG is only the school we operate and we are not related to any other Japanese school or educational institute in NYC.
We maintain a website where we share helpful parenting information in and around Brooklyn.
We plan and hold various parenting seminars and workshops. If you would like to receive information regarding future seminars, please subscribe to our newsletter.
Supporting Japanese Classes
There are many teachers in Brooklyn teaching Japanese language and other classes. BJAFA provides support to their activities and efforts.